I love giving back to the community and I love getting involved with great organizations. As I have become a mom and life gets busier it seems to get harder to find the time and the right things to do with the little time I have. I also want to teach my kids how to give back, and how to be grateful for the life we have. This is such an important life lesson to be learned and there is no better way to do it then by volunteering with your kids and being an example for them.
Below are some great organizations i found that you can do with your kids without a huge commitment. 1. Your Childs elementary school PTA! They do so much for the school and the community and your kids can participate in tons of the events and fundraisers with you.
2. BARK therapy Dogs – Founded in 2007, BARK is an all-volunteer program that encourages children to increase their reading skills and self-confidence by reading aloud to certified therapy dogs. Students find it intimidating to read in front of classmates, but love to read to the non-judgmental, calming dogs. BARK now has 170 teams listening to kids in more than 100 schools and libraries in California.
3. Surfrider Foundation- This amazing foundation is all for the ocean, our environment and the animals too! They have beach clean-ups all over Newport Beach and tons of other locations too! Beach clean up is usually from 8am-12pm and you can check the website for the details about where to go to help!
4. Read with the Dogs in Fullerton- Every Wednesday you can drop in the children’s library and read with the therapy dogs at 6pm
5. Host an Exchange Student – Hosting an iE exchange student is a life-changing experience for the entire family that lasts well after the time of the exchange. Open your heart and home to a student that wants to share in your life, community and culture.
6. Days of Service – Family Service Team projects provides children and their families with a simple and organized way of building volunteerism into family life. Working together, families have fun while learning about the importance of giving their time, talent and energy to make a difference in Orange County.
7. Food Pantry at Mariners Church – This is such an amazing store that we donate our clothes and used things to monthly. I love that they raised $300,000 for the community last year and i love that its 100 percent volunteer based and all of the money goes back to our community. I also love that you can volunteer anytime you want without committing to a schedule. Just pop in and help and stay for 1 hour or 4 hours. Perfect to have your kids help too. Probably best for kids 4+ that will help instead of make messes like my one year old (haha) Volunteer: Tue-Sat 8a-3p, Thu 6p-8p, Sun 12-3p
8. Walk to Fight Breast Cancer – Walk to increase awareness and raise funds. Kids 5 and up can walk a few miles, and you can push little ones in a stroller.
9. Deliver Meals – You and your child can bring both hot food and companionship to homebound people through meals on wheels in Orange County.
10. Story time at the Hospital – Read your child’s favorite books to children in the hospital. He/She can sit next to you and turn the pages or if they old enough they can read the books themselves.
If you know of an organization that is local and needs young volunteers or families support please send me a message and I would love to add it to this blog!
As always, please share this post on your own social media and make sure you subscribe to my page to get updates on all future blog posts!
Thanks for reading – Megan