Celebrate Earth Day 2019 in Orange County with the whole family!
Hey guys! Let’s celebrate earth day!! Earth day is this Monday, April 22nd 2019. with this in mind, If you are not sure what earth day is all about let me give you a quick rundown.
What is Earth Day Exactly?
“Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22. Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First celebrated in 1970, Earth Day now includes events in more than 193 countries, which are now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network ” – Wikipedia
As a matter of fact, there are so many ways to celebrate!
in particular, You can get involved and do some really great stuff with our local community by visiting https://www.earthday.org/
by all means, just get out in nature and enjoy this beautiful place we live in!! Below, I’ll tell you all of my favorite spots in the Orange County area, that are best for kids to celebrate Earth Day 2019! Celebrations start over the weekend leading up to Earth Day on Monday.
Celebrating Earth Day in OC:
Metrolink is the green way to go and to celebrate they are giving free rides all day on Monday April 22. Important to realize, they have train stations all over Orange County, down to LA and San Diego! Check it out here
Pretend City is Celebrating Earth Day Monday April 22, 2019 as they gather together and appreciate our home as well as learn new ways to take care of it! Additionally, you can Join them for recycling activities, Earth science, and art! It’s the coolest celebration on Earth! Learn More HERE
Newport Back Bay
Newport Back Bay is Celebrating Saturday, April 20th 2019. Free parking and Free admission, from 10am-4pm. They are making super cute crafts for the kids and teaching them how to keep plastic out of the oceans! Learn more HERE
OC Model Engineers
Orange County Model Engineers are giving away Free Train Rides to celebrate Earth Day on Saturday April 20th and Easter Sunday April 21st from 10am-3:30pm. They will also have the easter bunny, nature walks and other activities to enjoy! Learn more HERE
HB Beach Clean Up
Huntington Beach Beach is organizing a beach clean up on Saturday April 20th at 12pm. Kids are welcome and they will start by the pier and walk a short distance as they collect trash and clean up the beach. Snacks and refreshments are provided! They also provide trash bags and gloves!
Newport Beach ENC
Newport Beach Nature Center, is one of my favorite places to bring the kids! They absolutely love exploring the trails and being out in nature! Although the ENC is not celebrating Earth Day with any particular event it’s still a great place to celebrate on your own if you wish! They are open 8am-5pm and you can check out their website and additional upcoming events HERE
Santa Ana Mall
Santa Ana Mall is doing a family celebration on Saturday April 20th from 1-3pm in the center court. They will be teaching the kids about how to live a sustainable future, recycle and also have fun activities like face painting, and crafts! You can bring an item to recycle and receive a free tote bag! Learn more HERE
Aquarium of the Pacific
Aquarium of the pacific is celebrating Earth Day for the next few weeks by offering all sorts of activities, discounted pricing and staying open late at night. I would avoid this place on the weekends given that high traffic and crowds are always an issue on Saturdays and Sundays. However, if you can go on a weekday for the mommy+me class I think you’ll really enjoy it! Learn More HERE
Looking for more ways to teach your kids about saving our planet?
- Recycle – Teach your kids about which items can be recycled and which ones are trash. Let them help you by putting in the correct bin.
- Instead of plastic water bottles, try reusable stainless steel instead. Planning a party? Don’t buy mini plastic bottles. Instead opt for paper cups and a water dispenser.
- Pack lunches in reusable containers instead of plastic baggies.
- Plant and grow fruits and vegetables in your backyard! Teach them about sustainable living. If you don’t have room for a garden try with something simple like growing basil in a pot.
- Remind kids to turn off lights and save water at home! These simple things are often forgotten and overlooked.
- Use recycled pencils that grow into flowers! Write with them until they are too short to use and then you can plant it and watch it grow into flowers are herbs! Buy one HERE
- Take a little trash bag next time you go for a walk or to the park and collect trash with your kids to teach them how easy it is to help!
- Purchase you and the kids matching bracelets from 4 Oceans and for every bracelet purchased ($20 each) they will remove one pound of the trash from the ocean! BUY HERE