your local guide to visiting Balboa Island. Specifically curated for moms and families this detailed list will show you what to do, what not to miss and some our favorite things to do on the island.
Balboa Island is a beach side community located in Newport Beach, California, It’s easily accessible to the public via bridge, ferry and several public docks. The community is surrounded by a paved concrete boardwalk where you’ll see locals and tourists alike. More often than not the boardwalk is filled with pet owners, dogs children and very friendly people.
Although traffic and parking gets congested during the summer months you can usually always find parking on one of the side streets. Parking is free too, just make sure you read the signs and parking rules.
Our favorite things to do on the island
If you have kids and want to come down and visit the island below are some of our favorite things to do!
1. Bring scooters and let them ride along the board walk. We like south bay front or the little island.
2. Get Doughnuts from Dad’s Doughnut’s
3. Bring sand toys and bathing suits for the kids and play on a small sandy beach along north bay front.
4. Grab lunch at picante martins. This small Mexican restaurant has been there as long as I can remember and they have amazing food and the chicken tortilla soup is to die for!
5. Walk over to fire station and see the fire trucks. Possibly the fireman too!
6. Ride the yellow horse in front of our gang general store. (Bring a few quarters)
7. Visit the candy store on the corner and get salt water taffy.
8. If you have a daughter, visit once upon an Island. Click here to read more
9. Ride the ferry across to the fun zone. Kids ride for free and adults are only $1.00
10. Visit the new museum! It’s super cute and you can learn so much about the Island! Checkout the video below: